To continue addressing the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, Union Pacific is implementing the following policy changes effective immediately, aligning with the CDC’s newly released guidance:
- Reporting Process: UP has updated its COVID-19 notification process. Employees testing positive for COVID-19 are still required to complete the COVID-19 Positive Reporting Form and send it to COVIDFORM@UP.COM. What’s new: employees with COVID-19 symptoms who do not test positive for COVID-19 are no longer required to report their symptoms. Instead, these employees should stay home from work if sick and follow their normal lay-off sick process. If an employee tests negative and needs to request a Medical Leave of Absence, click here.
- Direct Contacts: Employees who have had direct contact with a COVID-19 positive individual no longer need to quarantine if they are symptom-free. However, these employees are required to wear a facial covering for 10 days and self-monitor for symptoms. If symptoms develop, employees must stay home and get tested. If no symptoms develop, it’s recommended to get tested on day six. Only those testing positive need to complete the COVID-19 Positive Reporting Form and isolate at home for at least five days.
- Social Distancing: The CDC has ended its social distancing recommendation. UP employees are encouraged to maintain awareness of their surroundings, especially in locations with high transmission levels.
- Travel and Large Group Gatherings: Employees are no longer required to be up to date on their vaccinations, including COVID-19 boosters, to travel or attend large group gatherings, however it’s strongly encouraged to ensure the health and safety of employees. Those traveling or attending large gatherings should assess their risk and protect themselves as needed with vaccines, facial coverings and proper hygiene.
- Facial Coverings: UP’s Facial Covering Policy remains in place, requiring employees and contractors to wear facial coverings in High Community Level locations as designated by the CDC. It’s every employee’s responsibility to routinely check their local community levels.
- Visitor Registration: Visitors to UP facilities no longer need to complete a form attesting to their COVID-19 status. Additionally, business visitors will no longer be restricted to those deemed business critical. UP will revert to the pre-COVID-19 process, which does not require an approval or review process for visitor registration.
As students head back to school and more activities begin to head indoors as the seasons change, please engage in good health and hygiene practices and continue to take precautions as necessary to protect yourself and others, including staying home when sick. Stay tuned for updated employee training reflecting the new CDC guidance and UP processes.